Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cause I'm the Goddamn Batman Fan Girl!

Not trying to take anything away from Grant Morrisson, but this whole Batman angle he's doing...ehh. Like every comic book character, (Unless your Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben, or Jean Grey), Batman will just get better and come back. And I'm sure dire consquences are sure to follow! *Dramatic music* SHOCKING!

Hell, DC killed off Superman and Wonder Woman, so I guess Batman was next. EVEN BIGGER SHOCKER!!!! But Bats being dead just hasn't effected me like most of the comic community.

Batman is my favorite DC character of all time...which is strange considering my favorite Marvel could destory the universe just by thinking it and rebuilding it to her liking. I know everyone says "It's because he doesn't have any powers", but there's a multitude of non-powered heroes in the DCU that don't, so :b. Batman is a symbol that normal people can accomplish things thought not possible. I know he's influenced me; that's why I have my own Bat Symbol tattooed on me.

The reason people can relate to Batman is mainly because he IS human. It's a total psychological thing. Everyone in life has an event that rocks them to their very core, thereby establishing the rest of their life. Instead of going Emo and giving up, Bruce Wayne decided to fight back; to avenge his parents and save a town that was going to shit. Superman actually had the best quote to describe Batman in the JLU cartoon: "As long as that man can breath, he'll never stop fighting!"

Even though he is human, Batman seemed unstoppable. Until 1994 and I read the first comic book that ever made me cry.

One word, two syllables: Knightfall.

I bawled like a baby. I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm pretty sure other people did. But at that point, I thought Batman was untouchable. He could spring back from anything! But reading the issues that followed, I think that's when I began to understand the darker themes of Batman comics. Seeing Bruce crippled...it made him look small and frail. But this is Bruce Wayne we're talking about! Not only did he come back, he kicked Bane's ass in a matter of bad assery that did not exist till that point.

But now that I'm older, I gotta wonder. Bane was the one who broke Batman; shook him to his core. Now what has he done lately. I'm half expecting this converstation to show up somewhere along the line:

SOME CHARACTER: And you are?

BANE: Bane.
S.C.: Who?
BANE: Bane. You know, the guy who broke Batman's back.
S.C.: Yeah, okay. But he got better. Now what have you done lately?

Call me a comic purist, but if anyone had the right to break Batman in some way, its the Joker. Not some drugged up lucha libra look-a-like who goes to the gym to much. For Christ Sake's, not only did Joker beat the holy hell out of Jason Todd, he blew him up for fun! Then Jason Todd got better blah blah blah....Let's see, then he crippled Barbara Gordon. Again, from psychology p.o.v, Joker could really screw with Batman's head and finally make him snap. But then again, Barbara is more badass as Oracle and Robin is now an insane, psychopathic/sociopathic pre-teen with issues. Just saying, J-Man could cause more damage, but that's a story for another day.

So, what I guess what I'm trying to say is:

Knightfall>Death of Batman.

So :b

No comments:

Post a Comment